Re: Finding firmware (and SHA sums etc), was Re: Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Arch Linux recognize my Acer Aspire S wifi, debian does not

On Wed 15 Mar 2017 at 13:44:39 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> (Posted to debian-www as well.)
>
> On Wed 15 Mar 2017 at 12:21:14 (-0500), Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
> > Is it just me, or are the "unofficial" images hard to get to? For example
> > the FAQ says "Sometimes, someone is kind enough to create unofficial
> > non-free CDs. If you cannot find any links on this website, you can try
> > asking on the debian-cd mailing list." Yet there is no link there to the
> > unofficial pages. Yes Google finds them....
>
> You are not alone. The problem as I see it is that it's easy to find
> this page:
>
> https://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

It is also just as easy to find

 https://www.debian.org/CD/

and then

 https://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/

which leads to

 http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/

without any right clicking or rubbing out.

> on which three options are given. When you click on an architecture,
> the 2nd and 3rd options take you to directory pages. However, the
> (most popular?) first option has ISO links¹ which you certainly don't
> want to click on if you're playing by the rules.

What rules are these?

> If you copy the ISO link (right click it) into a browser's address bar
> and rubout the ISO name itself, you'll get to (for i386):
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/
>
> This difficult-to-find page will not only satisfy those searching for
> SHA sums, but it also has a paragraph headed:

It is shown above that it is not difficult to find.

> Non-free Firmware
>
> which gives you a link to firmware-inclusive versions, daily/weekly
> builds etc etc.
>
> ¹ Bad design IMO. They ought to take you to
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/<architecture>/iso-cd/
> This page has links which make it obvious what they're pointing to—
> huge files!

The netinst ISO is hardly huge.