Re: CUPS in stretch does NOT WORK - Ricoh printer SP112 SP112-su

Yes, this worked without specifying an ip just localhost:631

The upgrade was from jessie to stretch and I had never edited this file,
yesterday I didn't even know where it was.
If this line is by default in this file and this file pre-existed on
jessie how could that line be omitted?  Or was the upgrade from cups 1.7
to 2.2??  replacing this file?

My frustration as I recommend to others to leave their non-open non-free
systems and trying debian is that after a successful installation their
basic utilities (of an average Win7 user) are there.  No shell command
writing or editing script files.  It seems as this is not the case as it
is with 20% of packages installed not working with a particular desktop,
etc.

In the case of a near-sighted person leading the blind some experience
is not very confidence inspiring.  Most of the manuals have an extensive
administration and programmer experience as a prerequisite.  In other
words I have yet to find ONE debian manual page that explains one thing
without knowledge of many other things that appear as common knowledge
but are a foreign language to many of us mortals.  And it is getting
more complex instead of being simplified.

>In my _working_ CUPS on Jessie, I have :

>Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
>Listen 192.168.11.5:631

>which I find fascinating, as 192.168.11.5 is _NOT_ the IP address of my
>computer, yet somehow it works anyway. The port scan you did a reply or
>two ago showed you had something listening on UDP port 631, but nothing
>on TCP port 631, which is why printing is not working.

>Indulge us, and add a line to your cupsd.conf as follows:

>Listen localhost:631

>and restart CUPS and see what happens.

>Assuming that works, you are going to want to know why it was necessary
>to add it, and I am afraid I have no idea. I can tell you though, for
>what use this is, it is _NOT_ a direct cause of the wheezy --> jessie
>upgrade. I performed that upgrade (a good while ago, to be fair) and >did
>not experience this problem. So in the absence of better information >I'd
>have to guess something you did or something else you installed >resulted
>in this happening to your conf file. I really have no idea what that
>could be though.

>Mark

Mark Fletcher: