Re: 7->8: inexplicable difficulty discovering available package versions

On 04/02/17 07:30, David Christensen wrote:
On 02/03/17 11:04, Felix Miata wrote:
I just did an apt-get dist-upgrade to reach Jessie 8.7 from Wheezy.

I am of the opinion that attempting an in-place major version upgrade of
an operating system or a service is folly.

Perhaps - and yet, one of the requirements for Debian packages is that you should be able to do in-place upgrades in reasonable safety, and that if there are any substantial caveats to such an action when going from oldstable to stable, they need to be documented in the release notes.