Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

On Sat 12 Mar 2016 at 12:15:38 +0100, jdd wrote:

> Le 12/03/2016 10:56, Brian a écrit :
>
> >The PDL of choice for AirPrint capable devices is PDF. A PDF document
>
> >The important word is "direct". The MFC-J5720DW doesn't have a  PDF
> >interpreter. Hence the silence.
>
> it have one for airprint, but may be this one is only available for aiprint,
> not for usb (ridiculous, I know, but we see such thing often)

It has been said in this thread that "Printers are dark and muddy";
there is no need to muddy their operation further, as is done here.

With a CUPS installation the brother_lpdwrapper_mfcj5720dw filter
converts PDF into BUL and sends the data to a RIP (an interpreter)
on the printer. AirPrint uses exactly the same printer as CUPS but
the conversion done by brother_lpdwrapper_mfcj5720dw has to be on
the printer in firmware. Then the RIP takes over. The RIP is not
converting PDF to raster format. There is no PDF interpreter for
AirPrint to use.

> http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Features/AirPrint

Listing 2 on that page isn't needed with Debian CUPS.