Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> So. Now I'll bite off my tongue and take my ball with me. I'm off
> this thread. I can't bear the overall animosity and poking of
> fun at those who try to put some effort into avoiding binary
> blobs. It reminds me of the poking at vegetarians "now are snails
> vegetables or not?". I thought I left that behind in my teens.

And I left time wasting in my teens.

It is not clear why OP would not install the vendor deb files. If s/he wants
to gain security, he could do it in a different way and still use the
printer. Example old Raspberry costs ~30-40$ and voila you have your
dedicated printer with no network.

Never mind - I wish him/her luck and perhaps s/he will update us later on
the progress and findings.

IMO it is not likely that one adds a spy software on such low cost device -
what for? If you want to print confidentail information - there are other
types of printers and setups you could do so.

Doing some more usable things, could be more beneficial to him/her. Anyway
this is a personal choice, but the effort seems silly, so we (I think I am
not the only one) have spoken and warned him/her.

regards