Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

On Tue 08 Mar 2016 at 17:01:06 +0000, Brian wrote:

>  lpadmin -p myprinter -v socket://<printer_IP:9100> -E -o printer-is-shared -m drv:///sample.drv/generpcl.ppd
>
> Or
>
>  lpadmin -p myprinter -v socket://<printer_IP:9100> -E -o printer-is-shared -m drv:///sample.drv/generic.ppd
>
> Or delete the two *cupsFilter: lines in the Brother PPD and
>
>  lpadmin -p myprinter -v socket://<printer_IP:9100> -E -o printer-is-shared -P <location_of_modified_PPD>

Forget completely and utterly about this advice. It has zero chance of
ever working.

In another mail Jarle Aase said:

  > I think this printer supports both pcl and postscript.

Faint alarm bells sounded in my head - inkjet, inkjet, inkjet. I ignored
the warning; after all he was surely in possession of a manual and would
know the printer capabilities.

The CUPS filter chain produces a file to be sent to the printer which is
identified as "data", not PostScript or PCL. Installing the two Brother
.deb files (a five minute job) seems to be the only way for printing to
take place.

> You'll be looking at error_logs if there are problems.

It adds substance to an otherwise useless piece of information like "I
cannot print".