Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

On Saturday 12 March 2016 02:50:49 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 05:02:49PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Yup, that they do.  They also cost around 35,000 USD to put it on
> > YOUR
>
> Now you're exaggerating.

No I am not. We (the tv station where I spent my last 18 working year at
as the Chief Engineer) needed another copier/printer about 15 years back
as we were overwhelming the $17,000 model, people standing around
waiting their turn, and the local office supply business sold us a
Minolta that could, if you fed it the right supplies, even bind a book
for you, and yes it was $35k at the time, plus of course an annual
maintenance contract that was for same day service. It had everything
but a coffee spigot on it.

> We have an (oldish) Brother "laser" networked
> printer which was quite affordable and understands pretty well PS
> (well, officially it's "brotherscript" -- really!) but it works nicely
> either from the whole CUPS gorilla or from a more traditional lprng
> installation.
>
> No blobs, no frills. Only this stupid 99.9% compatible PS ripoff is
> sometimes annoying, I guess if they'd left the (official or
> inofficial) copy of Ghostscript just alone instead of tweaking it,
> it'd be better.
>
> It is, fwiw a Brother HL 5170DN. Would I recommend it? Well, the
> mechanical quality is what you'd expect for the price. It tends to
> "decorate" its first pages with some creases. It is very low on
> mem, and its RIP isn't really fast. But it has done its job for
> well over seven years now.

Much the same can be said for the HL3170CDW I have, its an entry level
color laser.  Beginning to have some smudge and streak troubles, but it
has nearly 4000 pages thru it. And I just found it needs a full, pull
the line cord out, powerdown reset to restore normal operation, a panel
switch reboot doesn't cut it.  It also needs a firmware update, but they
have about 5 of them, each customised for the windows machine it takes
to run the updater.  But to find a winderz machine to run the updater
isn't possible here as there aren't any here. 100% linux here. I've not
tried our dfu utilities to see if that could work, and I'm not sure I
could strip out the actual update from their windows packages.

> So. Now I'll bite off my tongue and take my ball with me. I'm off
> this thread. I can't bear the overall animosity and poking of
> fun at those who try to put some effort into avoiding binary
> blobs. It reminds me of the poking at vegetarians "now are snails
> vegetables or not?". I thought I left that behind in my teens.

I very faintly recall my teen years, we were just finished with fighting
WW=II then.

> -- t

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)