Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

Den 08. mars 2016 14:02, skrev Brian:

I am very skeptical to installing 3rd party deb packages from hardware
vendors. I don't think they have quite the same focus on security that I
have. Basically, if a network printer require proprietary drivers to work -
then it is broken by design. I have used lpd + postscript for around 20
You are not bothered about the security of the closed source firmware on
the printer but are concerned about a closed source driver on the PC/
My printer does not sign code or certificates. My PC does :)

It would be unfortunate if my printer participated in a bot-net. Or acted as a gateway for attacks against my PC's. It would be a disaster if my gpg key or other certs were used to sign male-ware, or if back-doors was injected in my code base.

Theoretically, a Generic PCL or PostScript PPD could be used with this printer. You'd lose its specific printer options of course.

That's what I am trying to do.

Jarle