Re: Problems with upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie

On Thu 06 Oct 2016 at 19:39:21 +0200, Hans Kraus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 05.10.2016 um 20:58 schrieb Brian:
> >On Wed 05 Oct 2016 at 19:50:50 +0200, Hans Kraus wrote:
> >
> >>thanks to all. Brian is right with his opinion that I'm not subscribed
> >>to the list. I sent a 'subscribe' to
> >><mailto: debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org> but didn't get an answer
> >>(or at least I didn't find it).
> >
> >The reply comes back to the address you subscribed from. Maybe that
> >wasn't hans@hanswkraus.com. But we will not dwell on that; you can sort
> >it out at another time.
> >
> >>How do I switch drivers under Debian, especiallay from the "AMD FGLRX driver
> >>for Radeon adapters" to the "free radeon driver, which is the default in
> >>jessie"?
> >
> >I did not mean to imply you are using the FGLRX driver. Your "lspci -v"
> >output shows
> >
> >  > Kernel driver in use: radeon
> >
> >which implies otherwise. But the journalctl output doesn't look happy.
> >
> >To answer your question:
> >
> >  dpkg -l | grep fglrx
> >
> >Lines with "ii" indicate installed packages. Purge and see what a reboot
> >does.
>
> root@robbe:~# dpkg -l | grep fglrx
> ii  fglrx-atieventsd 1:15.9-4~deb8u2                      amd64
> events daemon for the non-free ATI/AMD RadeonHD display driver
> ii  fglrx-driver 1:15.9-4~deb8u2                      amd64        non-free
> ATI/AMD RadeonHD display driver
> ii  fglrx-modules-dkms 1:15.9-4~deb8u2                      amd64
> dkms module source for the non-free ATI/AMD RadeonHD display driver
> ii  glx-alternative-fglrx                                       0.5.1
> amd64        allows the selection of FGLRX as GLX provider
> ii  libfglrx:amd64 1:15.9-4~deb8u2                      amd64
> non-free ATI/AMD RadeonHD display driver (runtime libraries)
> ii  libfglrx-amdxvba1:amd64 1:15.9-4~deb8u2                      amd64
> AMD XvBA (X-Video Bitstream Acceleration) backend for VA API
> ii  libgl1-fglrx-glx:amd64 1:15.9-4~deb8u2                      amd64
> proprietary libGL for the non-free ATI/AMD RadeonHD display driver
>
> Is it OK to purge all these?

I would say so. Whether it makes any difference or not is a different
matter. I've never used non-free video drivers. If you have an xorg.conf
in /etc/X11 I'd move it out of the way.

> >(What does the glxinfo command give?)
> >
> root@robbe:~# glxinfo
> Error: unable to open display

That is when you used a terminal. Boot into X with

  xinit -- vt$XDG_VTNR

It is not pretty but there is an xterm to type commands into. What is
the output?

--
Brian.