Re: Problems with upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie

On 10/03/2016 06:50 PM, Hans Kraus wrote:
> With "gui stopped" I mean the following:
> After the boot process, instead of the graphical login screen where
> one can select the user, enter the password and do some selections,
> the following screen appears:
>
> A pic of a sad computer with the text (the first line is in bold):
>        Oh no! Something has gone wrong.
> A problem occurred and the system can't recover.
>         Please log out and try again.
>                -----------
>                | Log Out |
>                -----------
> I get the same screen when I choose another shell (via Ctrl-Alt-F2),
> log in as root and enter: startx.

Ok, this appears to be a GNOME-specific error message.

Could you restart the computer, try to log in, wait until that
message pops up, don't close the message, switch to another console
(Ctrl+Alt+F2) and run the following command as root?

journalctl -b1 -n40 _UID=1000

(Replace 1000 with your user id, you can look it via running id in
the console as your normal user; 1000 is the default for the first
user created by the Debian installer.)

See if there's anything in that output that might be relevant here.

> The /etc/apt/sources.list:
> root@robbe:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> # deb http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main
>
> # deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports wheezy-backports non-free
> deb http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free
>
> # wheezy-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
> deb http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports main contrib non-free

Side note: you have jessie-backports in there twice (first and last
uncommented line), but that's completely harmless. Otherwise, looks
fine.

Could you run

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

and see if it still wants to upgrade additional software?

Also, what kernel version are you running? (Find that out via the
command "uname -a".)

Regards,
Christian