Re: Problems with upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie

On Tue 04 Oct 2016 at 20:55:54 +0100, Brian wrote:

> Incidentally, we know X comes up for the OP (gnome-session runs. Without
> X it wouldn't). So this may not be the problem at all.
>
>   glxinfo | grep render
>
> is a good command for the OP to run. We would be interested in its output.

The Radeon HD 6670/7670 appeared in 2011. It would be highly unlikely
for the output of this command not to show

  direct-rendering: Yes

As Patrick Bartek cogently asked:

 > What exactly did you do to "upgrade?"  Did you read the Jessie Release
 > Notes regarding distribution upgrading?

Probably not, so I did it for him.

   > Unlike other OpenGL drivers, the AMD FGLRX driver for
   > Radeon adapters does not support the EGL interface. As
   > such, several GNOME applications, including the core of
   > the GNOME desktop, will not start at all when this driver
   > is in use.

   > It is recommended to use the free radeon driver, which is
   > the default in jessie, instead.

(There is a strong chance that Hans Kraus is not subscribed to this list
and is not reading the list archives to monitor replies to his query,
This will be my first and only CC:)

--
Brian.