Re: Problems with upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie

On Tue 04 Oct 2016 at 14:41:11 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

> Hans Kraus composed on 2016-10-04 20:01 (UTC+0200):
>
> >The VGA output:
> >========================================================================
> >01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
> >[AMD/ATI] Turks XT [Radeon HD 6670/7670] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
> >As far as I know I didn't install a special video driver. At least not
> >for Jessie, and, to the best of my knowledge, not for Wheezy too.
>
> Do you have xserver-xorg-video-ati, amd64-microcode and firmware-linu*
> installed? Xorg.0.log reports using the radeon driver, but your Turks may
> require the AMD driver from the ati package, and/or firmware not included in
> a default installation.
>
> (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not
> found) in Xorg.0.log would normally be a bad sign, but as you're using AMD
> video, the appearance of that message should be a logging error, not a real
> error.

You have highlighted

  > (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)

This is an interesting line in the log.

Why should using a radeon card give such a message? What has radeon to
do with nvidia? It could be a logging error but why does it occur? xorg
has sorted out which card is present.

Incidentally, we know X comes up for the OP (gnome-session runs. Without
X it wouldn't). So this may not be the problem at all.

  glxinfo | grep render

is a good command for the OP to run. We would be interested in its output.

However, perhaps the OP could look at

  dpkg -l | grep nvidia

and purge any packages if anything nvidia related is in its output.

--
Brian.