Re: Problem getting NAS box NFS/CIFS to work with Jessie

Hi Dan,

On 10/04/2016 06:46 AM, Dan Purgert wrote:
Fred wrote:
[...]
When I try to mount the -321 to access it:

root@ragnok:/home/fred# mount.nfs 192.168.0.32:Volume_1 /mnt/dns321 -v
[...]
mount.nfs: mount(2): Permission denied
mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 192.168.0.32:Volume_1

[...]

root@ragnok:/home/fred# mount.cifs 192.168.0.32:Volume_1 /mnt/dns321 -v
mount.cifs: bad UNC (192.168.0.32:Volume_1)

What does UNC mean in the above response and where do I go from here?
Best regards,
Fred
I don't systemd, so I can't comment on whether or not it is throwing a
spanner into the works.
I don't think systemd had anything to do with the problem. It was, of course, my fault!
The first error looks like your /etc/exports is using a different path
thatn you think it is, or /etc/hosts.allow is broken on the NAS.

Given your command, exports should look something this:

  - Volume_1 192.168.1.0/24(rw,no_subtree_check)

However, in my experience, /etc/exports will use the full path
(commonly, this'll be something like "/srv/Volume_1").  You will likely
have to check the file to verify what it really is.

Your hosts.allow should be something like
  - "ALL: 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0" (possibly /24, depending on how your
    system behaves).

The UNC path is "Universal Naming Convention", and essentially means
"path".  Given the error, it reinforces my thinking that you forgot to
provide the full path of the share.

I don't have an /etc/exports and the NAS box embedded Linux OS doesn't allow users access to system level stuff. Volume_1 is the root of the user storage area. My main problem was that the path to the NAS box needed to be: //192.168.0.32/Volume_1 instead of using a colon as mount.nfs wants. Also a correct entry in /etc/fstab was needed so a regular user could mount it.
Thanks for the help!
Best regards,
Fred