Re: Failed to execute child process (no such file or directory), but the script DOES exist in $HOME/bin, openbox users, especially take a look, please.

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 05:58:59PM -0400, Neal P. Murphy wrote:
> A semantic observation (probably unrelated to the aforementioned editing):
> "... dot in ..." might be more clearly stated as "... source ( or '.') in
> ..." because the action is to source the script into the current shell (thus
> retaining the defined vars), as opposed to executing the script in another
> shell or in a subshell (thus the var definitions are lost when the shell or
> subshell exits).

I explicitly avoided the word "source" because it is a bash extension,
and thus will not work in the POSIX sh that reads these files.

If you could go back in time to ~1978 and put the "source" command into
the Bourne shell, so that it would be a recognized command in all of
the Bourne family shells today, then we wouldn't have this confusion.