Re: Failed to execute child process (no such file or directory), but the script DOES exist in $HOME/bin, openbox users, especially take a look, please.

On Thu, 2016-09-22 at 09:11 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 09:19:11PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > But I don't understand the concept of "user configuration" for a DM.
> > Wouldn't that be like a user configuring /etc/issue, the login
> prompt
> > or /etc/motd ?
>
> By user configuration, I mean "which files can the user edit, without
> superuser privileges, to alter the behavior of the program".
>
> > Are you perhaps talking about which file,
> > like .xsession, .xsessionrc, .Xsession, .xinitrc, etc gets executed
> > when you login through the DM?
>
> Yes, precisely this question.  What can an end user, who uses one of
> the various display managers and desktop environments in Debian, do
> to configure their own environment?

I edit ~/.xsessionrc to have a single line:

        . /home/tixy/.profile

Which makes X sessions include the same profile as standard login
shells.

And my .profile has (or I added?)

        # set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
        if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
            PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
        fi

--