Re: Failed to execute child process (no such file or directory), but the script DOES exist in $HOME/bin, openbox users, especially take a look, please.

On Sun 25 Sep 2016 at 18:55:03 +0100, Brian wrote:

> The existence of ~/.xessionrc appears to cause more problems than it
> purportedly solves.

And it still won't lie down and die. It is determined to take over the
traditional role of ~/.xsession and prove its worth. However, kudos for
the editing of

  https://wiki.debian.org/Xsession

to help Debian users.

But now we have

 > User configuration may be done in a few different ways. The simplest
 > way is to create a ~/.xsessionrc file,.....

The pedantic side of me asks - why is it the simplest way? And in what
cirumstances? The technical side of me answers that a long-lived process
does not have to be specified in it; the alternatives system can be
relied on to bring up the window or session manager.

That's not a bad reason to use it exclusively (which you would have to
in the absence of ~/.xsession) but it basically caters for the user who
is reluctant or too lazy or, more likely,  doesn't know to put 'exec
x-session-manager' in ~/.xsession.

There is also no mention of ~/.xessionrc as a different way of user
configuration in the documentation. Quite the opposite. startx(1) says
.xsession is the file to use. 50x11-common_determine-startup more or
less says the same thing.

~/.xsessionrc doesn't have magical properties within Debian's X. If it
disappeared tomorrow X would be none the worse for it. Programs could
still be started, environment variables set, window managers brought up
etc. Believe in ~/.xsession; ignore all imitations; it is the one and
only true X configuration file for users.

Carrying on with the wiki:

 > A more advanced alternative is to use the ~/.xsession file. This
 > file, if it exists, is used instead of the system-wide default
 > x-session-manager or x-window-manager. Therefore, if you use it,
 > you must ensure that it launches your desired window manager (WM)
 > or desktop environment (DE).

~/.xsession is now raised to the status of a "more advanced alternative"
to ~/.xsessionrc. This is a special view of the situation not borne out
by any documentation. The remainder of the paragraph is not quite
correct. If ~/.xsession exists it is used and will start whatever is on
an 'exec' line. This could be a particular WM or DE ('exec fvwm', 'exec
gnome-session', for example). 'exec x-window-manager' is a valid line.
All you have to ensure is that it starts a process which does not
complete. (As a matter of interest, 'exec xterm' would be ok).

 > Finally, note that the ~/.xsession file is only read if you
 > are using a Debian X session. If you login with gdm3 and
 > choose a GNOME session, the ~/.xsession file will be ignored
 > completely. (But you may still use ~/.xsessionrc.)

Not observed in testing. /etc/gdm3/Xsession also has a stanza beginning
"SESSIONFILES=$(run_parts $(SYSSESSIONDIR)" which also appears to
contradict this statement. SYSSESSIONDIR is /etc/X11/Xsession.d.

--
Brian.