Re: Failed to execute child process (no such file or directory), but the script DOES exist in $HOME/bin, openbox users, especially take a look, please.

On Fri 23 Sep 2016 at 17:36:11 +0100, Brian wrote:

> ~/.xsessionrc was introduced in 2007 in response to a perceived problem.
> If the choice of DE (or WM) and terminal is left in the care of the
> system's x-session-manager, x-window-manager and x-terminal-emulator
> nothing need be put in ~/.xsession. In fact, it lloks like nothing can
> go in ~/.xsession because it requires 'exec fvwm' or some such line. (I
> suppose if x-window-manager was fvwm and ~/.xsession had 'exec fvwm'
> 50x11-common_determine-startup would cope with it. The relevance of
> ~/.xsessionrc to the startup procedure would then become questionable).

Having seen that ~/xsessionrc does nothing particularly special for
starting an X session (apart from what has been described earlier) we
can move on to

  > There are typically two kinds of commands you may wish to use
  > in this file:

Only two? Where does that leave

  xterm &
  setroot -solid blue
  xbindkeys

Where would they go?

  > You may place environment variable definitions here, directly:
  > export SOME_VAR="some value"

You may; but any advantage it gives is not explained. One may as well be
reading the lightdm manual for guidance about what a session manager
does.

  > You may dot in some other POSIX shell configuration file:
  > if [ -r  > ~/.profile ]; then . ~/.profile; fi

This (like environment variable definitions) can be put in ~/.xsession.
Substituting ~/xsession for ~/.xinitrc in the first two paragraphs of
this Arch wiki page

  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit

reinforces the the concept.

I don't think I shall be pointing a user to this wiki page in its
present state.

--
Brian.