Re: Failed to execute child process (no such file or directory), but the script DOES exist in $HOME/bin, openbox users, especially take a look, please.

On Sat 24 Sep 2016 at 20:38:50 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Fri 23 Sep 2016 at 17:36:11 +0100, Brian wrote:
>
> I don't think I shall be pointing a user to this wiki page in its
> present state.

~/.xessionrc as the primary file for configuring startup of X is not
only not necessary but has a disadvantage from an administrator's
point of view.

 > System-wide configuration of the Debian X session consists
 > mainly of options inside the /etc/X11/Xsession.options file,
 > and scripts inside the /etc/X11/Xsession.d directory. These
 > scripts are all dotted in by a single /bin/sh shell, in the
 > order determined by sorting their names. Administrators may
 > edit the scripts, though caution is advised if you are not
 > comfortable with shell programming.

Correct, but it neglects an aspect of ~/.xessionrc integration into
Debian's X which renders any editing of Xsession.options by an
adminstrator ineffective. Essentionally, 50x11-common_determine-startup
has

 if [ -z "$STARTUP" ]; then
   if has_option allow-user-xsession; then
     for STARTUPFILE in "$USERXSESSION" "$ALTUSERXSESSION"; do

There is no corresponding restriction in 40x11-common_xsessionrc and a
user can put what she wants in ~/.xessionrc. Security is first designed
in and then designed out.

To be fair, the documentation is hazy on this and it is probably a bug.
But surely the purpose of a wiki page is not only to fit and explain the
official documentation but, where necessary, expand on it and even
correct it.

The existence of ~/.xessionrc appears to cause more problems than it
purportedly solves.

--
Brian.