Re: Failed to execute child process (no such file or directory), but the script DOES exist in $HOME/bin, openbox users, especially take a look, please.

On 9/26/2016 2:44 PM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 10:19:27PM +0100, Brian wrote:
But now we have

 > User configuration may be done in a few different ways. The simplest
 > way is to create a ~/.xsessionrc file,.....

The pedantic side of me asks - why is it the simplest way? And in what
cirumstances?

Because it's *additive*.  It's just some stuff that happens in addition
to the system launching your default WM/DE, and whatever else the
system does by default (setting up an ssh-agent?  I don't even know).
You don't have to do all of those things yourself.

Just counting lines of code in the most ridiculously oversimplified
cse, it should be obvious that

PATH=~/bin:$PATH

is simpler than

PATH=~/bin:$PATH
exec x-session-manager

Two is more than one.

If you use a display manager and only one desktop, it's not really an issue.

If you boot to the console and log in you can have .xsession.desktop1, .xsession.desktop2, .xsession.desktop3, etc...

And do

mv .xsession.desktopX .xsession

before starting your xsession, so not much of an issue there either.

 > Finally, note that the ~/.xsession file is only read if you
 > are using a Debian X session. If you login with gdm3 and
 > choose a GNOME session, the ~/.xsession file will be ignored
 > completely. (But you may still use ~/.xsessionrc.)

Not observed in testing. /etc/gdm3/Xsession also has a stanza beginning
"SESSIONFILES=$(run_parts $(SYSSESSIONDIR)" which also appears to
contradict this statement. SYSSESSIONDIR is /etc/X11/Xsession.d.

If I've made factual errors, please correct them.  I'm trying my best to
piece together how gdm3 works based on the existing documentation (written
by Overfiend over a decade ago), and other, older wiki pages which may
themselves be incorrect, and my extremely limited past knowledge of gdm.
Note that I do not *use* gdm3 myself, nor lightdm, nor xdm, or any other
display manager, but I did briefly experiment with gdm many years back.

I have a .xsession file, it's set up to start fluxbox on the exec line.

The .xsession file only gets read when I have the default/debian xsession selected.

Currently I'm using lightdm, before that kdm, before that gdm3, so it's been a while since I used gdm3. Occasionally I would switch to wdm if something weird was happening and wanted to see if it happened with a different display manager.

It's possible that something changed with gdm3 after I stopped using it, or that it's been long enough I just don't remember, but I don't remember any of these in recent years using the .xsession file if you use a session other than the default session.

I only verified use of .xsessionrc to set variables using lightdm as my display manager and lxqt as my X session. Putting a line in .xsessionrc to export a variable works.

Later, Seeker