Re: Substring search in dash [ _NOT_ bash ] shell

On 2016-09-26 at 23:49, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 9/26/2016 10:42 AM, Greg Wooledge wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 10:39:59AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>
>>> #      string if [ "`hostname`" = bob ]; then echo bob.cfg; fi
>>>
>>> I need for the case when evaluates to marybobsam .
>>> I can find examples in bash shell, but I need dash.
>>
>> Are you asking how to check for the substring "bob" in your input,
>> in POSIX sh?  Use case, and a glob:
>>
>> case $input in
>>    *bob*) echo "Bob found." ;;
>> esac
>>
>> case $(hostname) in
>>    *bob*) echo "I must be a Bob." ;;
>> esac
>
> Thank you. I was expecting an if...fi construct.

Some such thing could be used when checking for an exact string, but for
substring matching, the example given is better.

> Is dash documented anywhere?
> All I've found are pages saying that some "bashisms" do not work
> in dash :<

The dash manual page ('man dash') seems fairly comprehensive, on brief
observation. It doesn't seem as lengthy or as detailed as the bash man
page (which I _have_ actually read full-length, believe it or not), but
it does seem to cover most things.

--
   The Wanderer