Re: Mailing-list configuration

Mark Fletcher:
> You know we are not talking about running a nuclear reactor here, right?

What is your point?

> But this only works if all participants agree to use such headers, surely?

No. The header I am referring to has been supported by all half-decent MUAs
for years, possibly decades, and they work by default.

> You'll never get the eclectic bunch that populate this list to do that. Or
> does it need to be a feature of the machines hosting the list?

> I'm sure she read it the first time, but to the point above, this is
> either something each individual has to co-operate with (not a chance) or
> something one or more maintainers of the list server(s) need to be
> convinced to work on (ditto).

This something that can be set up either on the mailing-list manager (and I
blame the administrators for the Debian mailing-list for not having done so)
or individually by anyone for their own mails.

This is the strength of my argument: all people who whine about unwanted CCs
to them could instead take half a minute to set up their headers in order to
avoid them entirely. Their choice.

> Actually, this one pretty much is -

No, it is not.

>				      it bases its action (or lack) on the
> existence of the standard mail list headers. Very few mail lists do not
> have these headers (Yahoo lists are one exception).

Unfortunately, as far as I know, and if I am wrong please correct me with a
reference, the standardized mailing-lists headers do not contain the policy
about CCing.

> Yes, you did, you spammed me too on this response.

Your mail did not contain a standardized directive not to do so. Neither
does one I am replying to now.

Mine do (and I have explained the procedure to achieve it), therefore I
never receive unwanted CCs and I am perfectly happy about it. I guess some
people like whining.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George