Re: Mailing-list configuration

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 12:13 AM Nicolas George <george@nsup.org> wrote:
Le sextidi 26 prairial, an CCXXIV, Tanstaafl a écrit :

If you are referring to a MUA command, then first let me remind you that MUA
commands are not standardized, and therefore using the name of the command
on your particular MUA without an explanation is not a good idea. But that
is not the point. The point is that a procedure that requires a moment of
thought for each single mail "I am replying to a mailing-list or a simple
group discussion" is not acceptable. If that is what you are suggesting,
then consider that I accidentally got it wrong.

You know we are not talking about running a nuclear reactor here, right?

As I said, the default action should be the preferred action. The correct
interface for a MUA is a single button to reply to almost all the mails, and
a different procedures for exceptions, when the user actively knows there is
something different. As I have already stated, the procedure I use achieve
that goal for most of the mailing-lists I am subscribed (quite a few) and
direct discussions (including with groups of people from mailing-lists). I
therefore consider that if it does not work for some mailing-list, it is no
fault of mine.

But this only works if all participants agree to use such headers, surely? You'll never get the eclectic bunch that populate this list to do that. Or does it need to be a feature of the machines hosting the list?

To Lisi: re-read my mail, I gave the technical solution and headers I use.

I'm sure she read it the first time, but to the point above, this is either something each individual has to co-operate with (not a chance) or something one or more maintainers of the list server(s) need to be convinced to work on (ditto).

Mark