Re: Running without X was: Re: ssh-ing in inside private network

On Fri 03 Jun 2016 at 10:28:32 (+0100), Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Friday 03 June 2016 10:07:13 Lisi Reisz wrote:
> >  I wanted to log in without X
> > and runlevel 1 has no X.
>
> So I next tried to shut X down.  I have tried this before without success, so
> I googled again, and gathered that what I needed to do in fact was shut down
> my dm.  See:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Xorg#Configure_X
>
> I wanted to log-in without X in order to do:
>
> $ cd /etc/X11/
> # Xorg -configure
>
> But I couldn't.  So I tried:
> [various sysvinit things to kill X]

> Here is what happened from then on (still over ssh, which may be relevant):

Well, I thought it might be, but when I tried it, all went smoothly,
and I got results identical with when I had done it locally.

> [various systemd things to kill X]

> root@Hermes:/etc/X11# Xorg -configure
>
> X.Org X Server 1.18.3
> Release Date: 2016-04-04
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
> Build Operating System: Linux 3.13.0-85-generic x86_64 Ubuntu
> Current Operating System: Linux Hermes 4.4.0-22-generic #40-Ubuntu SMP Thu May 12 22:03:46 UTC 2016 x86_64
> Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-22-generic root=UUID=d2c7c24d-c672-4ff9-bb54-57537ca2123f ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
> Build Date: 07 April 2016  09:18:50AM
> xorg-server 2:1.18.3-1ubuntu2 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
> Current version of pixman: 0.33.6
[...]
>         vesa
>         fbdev
> No devices to configure.  Configuration failed.
> (EE) Server terminated with error (2). Closing log file.
> root@Hermes:/etc/X11#

Just to note (you probably know this) that, apart from "No devices to
configure" and the lack of action, the failure message is normal.

> Where next???  Ubuntu on Hermes is currently unusable because of the graphics.

I haven't followed everything you did earlier wrt X. I take it that X
(which you killed above) is "working", but not to your liking? which
is why you want to (re)configure the Xserver. In which case, the
problem is way over my head, but AFAICT nothing to do with your using
ssh to do things through.

If X wasn't working at all (ie when you boot ubuntu, you get nothing)
then it would suggest there's no driver loaded that can run the
hardware. Unusual for ubuntu.

Sorry about the lack of further ideas. In tracking what you've been
doing, I did discover that it's obvious if you try to Xorg -configure
while X is running ((EE) Server is already active for display 0) and
that the point of failure when run as a user is the juggling of log
files; I had thought it would check for $UID=0 earlier than that.

Cheers,
David.