Re: Running without X was: Re: ssh-ing in inside private network

Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Friday 03 June 2016 10:07:13 Lisi Reisz wrote:
>>  I wanted to log in without X
>> and runlevel 1 has no X.
>
> So I next tried to shut X down.  I have tried this before without success, so
> I googled again, and gathered that what I needed to do in fact was shut down
> my dm.  See:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Xorg#Configure_X
>
> I wanted to log-in without X in order to do:
> [snip]
>
> Where next???  Ubuntu on Hermes is currently unusable because of the
> graphics.
> Debian Jessie with TDE 14.0.4 on the same machine is running
> beautifully, and I didn't have to do anything other than choose a
> setting in the Control Center.

Honestly, I don't know how to do it with systemd (it will be installed
on one of my boxen over my dead body).

With sysvinit (or, Upstart, or any sane init system), it's as
simple as going into /etc/rc[X].d/ and then moving 'S##mdm' to
'K##mdm'[1], then changing /etc/inittab (for sysvinit) if you edited
your "not default" runlevel.  In my case, Debian defaults to RL2, so I
edited RL3 and set that as the default (to match the "standard" of
"Multi-User, without X).

For Upstart, you can do similar things, but it's a little different:

 - the "default" settings are in /etc/init/rc-sysinit.conf
 - the Upstart script needs to be told individually which runlevel(s) it
   can run at.

[X] = this is your runlevel (e.g. /etc/rc3.d/ for RL3)
[1] I just pulled mdm out of thin air.  If you're using something else
(gdm, slim, whatever), change that one instead.

> Yes, I know that this is the Debian list.  Half of me wants you to
> tell me to get rid of Ubuntu, even as a dual boot!!  But hey!  I am
> learning a bit about systemd as well as ssh.  Can't be bad. ;-/

get rid of systemd. ;)

Watch out in case you have systemd 230 (or if you don't and it becomes
an update) -- the systemd devs have decided that processes should die
when the user logs out - *EVEN THOSE THAT HAVE BEEN EXPLICITLY ALLOWED
WITH NOHUP*.

--
Registered Linux user #585947
Github: https://github.com/dpurgert