Re: Running without X was: Re: ssh-ing in inside private network

On Friday 03 June 2016 15:32:14 David Wright wrote:
>  I did discover that it's obvious if you try to Xorg -configure
> while X is running

There's a hole in the bucket, dear Eliza....

This is why I was trying to do it at single user level, to be *certain* that X
wasn't running. :-)

X is there, but unusable because the resolution is taking almost everything
off the screen.  Ubuntu is such a GUI based OS that I am getting nowhere
fast.

But I have had some practice with ssh, with which I am getting more confident.
I do now know roughly how to use it and just have to learn more.  Ubuntu is
and was an aside.  I just have to decide what I want to do to nuke it and get
my Debian back unmolested.

Thanks everyone for all the help.  I'll do a "SOLVED" and a proper report on
my original post over the weekend.

Lisi