Running without X was: Re: ssh-ing in inside private network

On Friday 03 June 2016 10:07:13 Lisi Reisz wrote:
>  I wanted to log in without X
> and runlevel 1 has no X.

So I next tried to shut X down.  I have tried this before without success, so
I googled again, and gathered that what I needed to do in fact was shut down
my dm.  See:

https://wiki.debian.org/Xorg#Configure_X

I wanted to log-in without X in order to do:

$ cd /etc/X11/
# Xorg -configure

But I couldn't.  So I tried:

# /etc/init.d/gdm stop && /etc/init.d/gdm3 stop && /etc/init.d/kdm stop
&& /etc/init.d/xdm stop

Here is what happened from then on (still over ssh, which may be relevant):
lisi@Hermes:~$ sudo su
[sudo] password for lisi:
root@Hermes:/home/lisi# /etc/init.d/gdm stop && /etc/init.d/gdm3 stop
&& /etc/init.d/kdm stop && /etc/init.d/xdm stop
bash: /etc/init.d/gdm: No such file or directory

So Google for systemd, which is what I  think Ubuntu 16.04 is using.  Then:

root@Hermes:/home/lisi# systemctl list-units | grep -i manager
init.scope
loaded active running   System and Service Manager
lightdm.service
loaded active running   Light Display Manager
ModemManager.service
loaded active running   Modem Manager
NetworkManager-wait-online.service
loaded active exited    Network Manager Wait Online
NetworkManager.service
loaded active running   Network Manager
resolvconf.service
loaded active exited    Nameserver information manager
systemd-udevd.service
loaded active running   udev Kernel Device Manager
udisks2.service
loaded active running   Disk Manager
user@1000.service
loaded active running   User Manager for UID 1000
root@Hermes:/home/lisi# systemctl stop lightdm.service

root@Hermes:/home/lisi# systemctl stop lightdm.service
root@Hermes:/home/lisi# cd /etc/X11/
root@Hermes:/etc/X11# Xorg -configure

X.Org X Server 1.18.3
Release Date: 2016-04-04
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 3.13.0-85-generic x86_64 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux Hermes 4.4.0-22-generic #40-Ubuntu SMP Thu May
12 22:03:46 UTC 2016 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-22-generic
root=UUID=d2c7c24d-c672-4ff9-bb54-57537ca2123f ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7
Build Date: 07 April 2016  09:18:50AM
xorg-server 2:1.18.3-1ubuntu2 (For technical support please see
http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.33.6
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Jun  1 16:34:34 2016
List of video drivers:
        radeon
        vmware
        qxl
        ati
        intel
        amdgpu
        modesetting
        nouveau
        vesa
        fbdev
No devices to configure.  Configuration failed.
(EE) Server terminated with error (2). Closing log file.
root@Hermes:/etc/X11#

root@Hermes:/etc/X11# logout
bash: logout: not login shell: use `exit'
root@Hermes:/etc/X11# exit
exit
lisi@Hermes:~$ logout
Connection to 192.168.0.5 closed.
lisi@Tux-II:~$

Where next???  Ubuntu on Hermes is currently unusable because of the graphics.
Debian Jessie with TDE 14.0.4 on the same machine is running beautifully, and
I didn't have to do anything other than choose a setting in the Control
Center.

Yes, I know that this is the Debian list.  Half of me wants you to tell me to
get rid of Ubuntu, even as a dual boot!!  But hey!  I am learning a bit about
systemd as well as ssh.  Can't be bad. ;-/

FWIW it is Ubuntu-MATE (16.04).

Lisi