Re: ssh-ing in inside private network

On Wednesday 01 June 2016 14:43:29 Mark Fletcher wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 9:10 PM Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:
> > Lisi Reisz wrote:
> >
> > level

> > > Yes, I had come to the conclusion that that was probably the problem.
> > > Networking does appear to be up since nmap found a host having scanned
> > > the ports.
> >
> > You'll need to reset the init script to fire at runlevel 1.  Not sure
> > how you go about this in a systemd setup.
> >
> > That being said, the 'init' manpage has the following warning:
> >
> > # On  a  Debian  system,  entering  runlevel 1 causes all processes to be
> > # killed except for kernel threads and the script that does  the killing
> > # and other processes in its session.  As a consequence of this, it isn't
> > # safe to return from runlevel 1 to a multi-user runlevel:  daemons that
> > # were  started  in runlevel S and are needed for normal operation are no
> > # longer running.  The system should be rebooted.
> >
> > I'm not sure if this holds for systemd-init though.
>
> To add to that, and not to make value judgements, but the point of Runlevel
> 1 is that it is single user mode. The whole point is that there is only one
> person logged in, _via the console_, and no one else can be logged in doing
> anything, and therefore it is safe to perform maintenance like taking disks
> offline to back them up (back in the days when that was the main / only way
> to do it) or other similar maintenance tasks.
>
> So, running the ssh daemon in Runlevel 1 is like, well, like trying to fit
> brake blocks to a tomato. It just doesn't make a lot of sense. I think I
> missed what you were actually trying to do but does it really need to be
> done in Runevel 1? Because Runlevel 1 and remote access to the machine
> aren't concepts that belong in the same sentence, at least without a
> negative.
>
> Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear but...

What I wanted to do was learn!  This is obvious once one thinks about it, but
hitting it was a good way to learn.  I shall not forget in a hurry that no
servers are running by default in Run Level 1.  I wanted to log in without X
and runlevel 1 has no X.

Thanks for your time and help, Mark and Dan (and Richard, and everyone else,
of course).

Lisi