Re: ssh-ing in inside private network

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 9:10 PM Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:
Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 May 2016 23:56:02 Richard Hector wrote:
>> On 01/06/16 07:31, Lisi Reisz wrote:
>> > Now to do what I really wanted to do all along, and ssh in to run level
>> > one as root:
>> >
>> > lisi@Tux-II:~$ ssh root@192.168.0.5
>> > ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.5 port 22: No route to host
>> > lisi@Tux-II:~$ ssh lisi@192.168.0.5
>>
>> Run level one? AKA single user mode? I wouldn't expect to find sshd
>> running in single user mode. Without checking, I'm not sure I'd even
>> expect networking to be up.
>>
>> Richard
>
> Yes, I had come to the conclusion that that was probably the problem.
> Networking does appear to be up since nmap found a host having scanned
> the ports.

You'll need to reset the init script to fire at runlevel 1.  Not sure
how you go about this in a systemd setup.

That being said, the 'init' manpage has the following warning:

# On  a  Debian  system,  entering  runlevel 1 causes all processes to be
# killed except for kernel threads and the script that does  the killing
# and other processes in its session.  As a consequence of this, it isn't
# safe to return from runlevel 1 to a multi-user runlevel:  daemons that
# were  started  in runlevel S and are needed for normal operation are no
# longer running.  The system should be rebooted.

I'm not sure if this holds for systemd-init though.

To add to that, and not to make value judgements, but the point of Runlevel 1 is that it is single user mode. The whole point is that there is only one person logged in, _via the console_, and no one else can be logged in doing anything, and therefore it is safe to perform maintenance like taking disks offline to back them up (back in the days when that was the main / only way to do it) or other similar maintenance tasks.

So, running the ssh daemon in Runlevel 1 is like, well, like trying to fit brake blocks to a tomato. It just doesn't make a lot of sense. I think I missed what you were actually trying to do but does it really need to be done in Runevel 1? Because Runlevel 1 and remote access to the machine aren't concepts that belong in the same sentence, at least without a negative.

Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear but...

Mark