Re: wireless without network-manager... is it still possible?

On Wed 25 May 2016 at 21:21:14 -0800, Britton Kerin wrote:

> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 9:32 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > The OP deposited his FUD in -user (twice), completely ignored the
> > invitation to explore a technical solution using ifupdown and has now
>
> Regardless of ifupdown, I want network-manager to work
> like it's supposed to, i.e. the same way in a dbus-launch-spawned
> session as under gnome.  It doesn't.  That a bug, not FUD.

You might want to pursue this response, either on -user or in your own
time; it appears very useful. It is not something I want to do but looks
to be right up your street. The poster doesn't see any bug there.

For myself, I'll have to remember that subject titles might bear no
resemblance to the problem in search of a solution. ifupdown is used
throughout the North American continent (Canada, Mexico, the U.S.A etc),
and, excepting hardware problems, it and the supplicant do a good job.

Life is too short to worry about whether network-manager delivers the
goods. Just use ifupdown and wpa_supplicant and you will live happily
ever after.

People are fixated on wicd. What is so wrong with wpagui?

> > taken himself off to -devel, which is not renowned for suffering the
> > spreading of misinformation.
>
> There's agreement on devel that it's not FUD.  I posted a detailed
> description of the problem there.  Go read it and send me something
> useful instead of more groundless claims that bug reports on
> network-manager are FUD.

There is rarely any agreement on -devel on anything :) We rely very
often on "consensus". I never claimed a bug report on network-manager
was FUD. Also, by posting to -user you are not submitting a bug report.
I hope you find this useful.

> > One hopes his transition to there was not
> > due to anything *I* said and he gets a glimmer of clue, :)
>
> It was partly due to you, I'm hoping for more substantive responses there.

They are much kinder and more understanding and sympathetic over there.
I hope your expectations were met.