Re: wireless without network-manager... is it still possible?

On Thu 26 May 2016 at 20:29:30 (+0100), Brian wrote:

> Life is too short to worry about whether network-manager delivers the
> goods. Just use ifupdown and wpa_supplicant and you will live happily
> ever after.
>
> People are fixated on wicd. What is so wrong with wpagui?

Finding I had this installed, I ran it. I think I would need to set
some configuration to allow that to work. That might be why it's in
/usr/sbin.

So, to root, where I generally won't run gui applications. So I ran
/sbin/wpa_cli instead. "status" looked fine, and "interface".
I tried "set":

> interface
Available interfaces:
wlan0
> set
Invalid SET command - at least 2 arguments are required.

That doesn't quite chime with:

       set    set variables (shows list of variables when run without arguments)

Most of the commands look rather low-level. So I quit.

It doesn't seem to have a curses interface like wicd. Configuring with
that is a piece of cake. IIRC the hostname is filled in for you, so
all I had to do was pick an AP, press →, fill in the Key (it checks
"Use Encryption" automatically) and check the desired options:
"Use these settings for all networks sharing this essid" and
"Automatically connect to this network", then press F10 to save.

Cheers,
David.