Re: wireless without network-manager... is it still possible?

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 11:29 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed 25 May 2016 at 21:21:14 -0800, Britton Kerin wrote:
>
>> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 9:32 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>> >
>> > The OP deposited his FUD in -user (twice), completely ignored the
>> > invitation to explore a technical solution using ifupdown and has now
>>
>> Regardless of ifupdown, I want network-manager to work
>> like it's supposed to, i.e. the same way in a dbus-launch-spawned
>> session as under gnome.  It doesn't.  That a bug, not FUD.
>
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2016/05/msg00939.html
>
> You might want to pursue this response, either on -user or in your own
> time; it appears very useful. It is not something I want to do but looks
> to be right up your street. The poster doesn't see any bug there.
>
> For myself, I'll have to remember that subject titles might bear no
> resemblance to the problem in search of a solution. ifupdown is used
> throughout the North American continent (Canada, Mexico, the U.S.A etc),
> and, excepting hardware problems, it and the supplicant do a good job.
>
> Life is too short to worry about whether network-manager delivers the
> goods. Just use ifupdown and wpa_supplicant and you will live happily
> ever after.

Thanks for this response.  Modulo some issues with rfkill it's the correct
approach.  I'm sorry for the insults in my original post and for being so
combative with you.

Regarding network-manager, I think you're entirely right.  It was flaky
10 years ago, it still seems flaky, time to just avoid it forever.

Britton