Re: Further to my installation error

Adam Wilson a écrit :
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 12:51:56 +0100
> Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:
>
>> Did you try to boot a non-EFI capable USB boot media, such as a Debian
>> live image or a Debian installation image with the EFI partition
>> deleted ?

(I guess that just changing the EFI partition type ID to "00" (empty)
should  do the trick too).

> No. That did not occur to me; I assumed it would then refuse to boot at
> all. I shall try this out and get back to you.

Thanks.

> And I don't like / don't need either GPT, LVM, or logical volumes! Four
> primary partitions has always been enough for me.

Lucky you...

>> I have seen this display problem with the EFI framebuffer driver in
>> Wheezy's kernel on some machines. Installing with a serial console
>> worked.
>
> How does one do that?

First, the computer must have a serial (RS232 UART) interface. I guess
it must be an internal one which may be quite rare these days, not a
USB-serial adapter. You must connect it to a serial console (with a
straight serial cable) or another computer (with a crossed serial cable)
running a serial console emulator such as putty, picocom... Finally you
must pass some parameters on the linux command line in GRUB. These are
mentionned in the installation manual.

There are a coupe of drawback, though : the installer through the serial
console is available only in black&white and english, and after the
installation, only the serial console is enabled. At least that was true
in Wheezy, and enabling the virtual consoles tty1-6 in /etc/inittab was
easy. I don't know about Jessie and systemd.

>>> USB can still
>>> only be booted from UEFI, but newer d-i means that installation now
>>> proceeds as normal until the point at which UEFI yes/no
>>> (force/leave) selection is reached
>>
>> I don't remember seeing this option in Jessie's installer when booted
>> in EFI mode. How is it labeled exactly ? At what stage is it
>> proposed ?
>
> It isn't something I saw either until my first UEFI installation media
> boot- it may have been triggered by the fact that I was using 'Launch
> CSM' Legacy mode so that I wouldn't have to bother with GPT/UEFI and
> could use something resembling traditional BIOS and MBR.

I don't remember seeing it even in my latest EFI installations.

> It is in between the tasksel stage and the GRUB installation stage. A
> prompt appeared telling me that I could either 'Force UEFI' for the
> operating system installation, and have Jessie configured to boot from
> UEFI, or not. It detected the fact that I had booted from UEFI but my
> system was capable of either booting method.

Thanks, I'll double check that during my next installation.