Re: Further to my installation error

On Tue 15 Mar 2016 at 22:41:14 +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Tuesday 15 March 2016 20:22:23 Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > So I am trying to use Gparted on Knoppix to wipe the disk thoroughly and
> > I'll try in order (with a good Gparted wipe in between) Net install 8.02
>
> Worked a treat.  No further problems.  OS and DE fully installed and am
> installing extras like LibreOffice etc., and configuring it for the user.  It
> will be fully operational before I go to bed, as I had promised.
>
> So - if you want to format an existing partition properly, so the stuff on it
> actually goes, use Gparted not the partitioner in the Jessie installer.  Sad.

The installer on a netinst image is identical to the one on CD-1, the
only difference being that GNOME packages are got from CD-1 rather than
downloading them from the internet. This is well after the partitioning
stage. Nevertheless, strange.

> Pity it took me until it tried to use CD1 to do a net-install to realise
> that!!  And I have now run out of writable CDs. :-(  I had just enough for
> this shenanigans!

Why any Debian user should use an antiquated technology to install is
beyond me. USB sticks are two a penny. Isohybrid images rule; OK!