Re: Further to my installation error

On Wed 16 Mar 2016 at 16:12:20 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

> Brian composed on 2016-03-16 19:21 (UTC):
>
> >On Tue 15 Mar 2016 at 22:41:14 +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:
>
> >>Pity it took me until it tried to use CD1 to do a net-install to realise
> >>that!!  And I have now run out of writable CDs. :-(  I had just enough for
> >>this shenanigans!
>
> >Why any Debian user should use an antiquated technology to install is
> >beyond me. USB sticks are two a penny. Isohybrid images rule; OK!
>
> USB sticks, being of a non-uniform variety of sizes, shapes, speed, and
> reliability, are a pain to library. Inferior amount of space on which to
> write on them contributes to the library problem. Pricing of USB sticks on a
> per device basis remains much higher than OM, making creation of a single
> device for single purpose generally much more expensive than OM. There still
> exist working puters that cannot boot USB. I have several.

So do I. There are ways round it.

But the vast majortiy of users are not using the ancient machines you
and I have. The OP is at liberty to indicate whether her machine falls
into this class. A round shiny disc could be her only solution to
booting a Debian image.

> Not that I routinely burn OM to install Linux. For that I usually don't burn
> anything, instead installing by loading an installation kernel and initrd
> with an already installed bootloader. HTTP installation means up-to-date at
> the outset.

This makes installing Debian straightforward for everyone? Compared with
just putting an image on a USB stick?