Re: Further to my installation error

On Tuesday 15 March 2016 19:37:24 Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 07:06:17PM +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > I tried another two and the second one the error message changed to
> > "Couldn't download package".
> >
> > Is there a problem on the Debian site?  Or with whatever mirror it is
> > helping itself to??
> >
> > Lisi
>
> What's the model of the new machine?
>
> I'm not sure that there's a problem with all the Debian mirrors: retry the
> downloads - instead of using ftp.uk.debian.org change it, perhaps to
> ftp.de.debian.org to check.
>
> get.debian.org, grab a CD image - myself, I quite like the CD #1 which
> gives you KDE but each to her own.
>
> Quicker, because smaller, is to download another netinstall.
>
> All the very best, as ever,
>
> AndyC

Thanks, Andy.  In the meantime I had downloaded the CD1, burnt it and tried
with that - and had the same problem, and still trying to do a net install,
although on every occasion I had told it to re-partition and format.

So I am trying to use Gparted on Knoppix to wipe the disk thoroughly and I'll
try in order (with a good Gparted wipe in between) Net install 8.02, CD1
8.03, net install 8.0.0 for a minimum install.  Then, if I am still remotely,
vaguely sane, I'll report back.

Lisi