Re: updating debian 8 (jessie) stable to permanent testing - SOLVED?

What was I thinking?  (I have some distractions going on right now).

dist-upgrades?

Of course.  Earlier in this sequence I did ask, to track testing
permanently, should I do:

sudo apt-get --download-only dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I presume that's what you meant.  Is the answer yes, then? But if so,
wouldn't that only have to be done once, followed by periodically
doing:

sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

???

On 1/25/16, Francis Gerund <ranrund@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Jochen.
>
> 1) You are correct. It should have been:
>
>>Then, I did:
>
>>sudo apt-get check
>>sudo apt-get update
>>sudo apt-get upgrade
>>sudo clean
>>sudo autoclean
>>sudo autoremove
>
> My mistake.  Sorry.
>

> 2)  Run dist-upgrades?  No one mentioned that (to me), and I did not
> know anything about that.
>
> Hopefully I can find some information on that.
>
> I thought that once I upgraded to testing, I would be much like stable
> - just generally sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, and check,
> clean, autoclean, and autoremove from time to time.
>

> 3) No, I don't want to make it easy to break my system, but I do
> want/need to track testing.  Stable is just too stale.
>
> I don't feel like testing, unstable, etc.  should be only for the
> nobles, and denied to the mere peasants (like me).
>
> I have read/heard all the warnings about system breakage.  I do back
> up my data.  And I can reinstall if necessary.
>
> I have begun to suspect that the Debian "powers that be" deliberately
> don't make upgrading to testing/unstable/experimental clear and easy,
> in order to discourage people from doing it.  Speculating upon the
> reasons that might be is left as an exercise for the reader . . .
>
> ;-)
>

> On 1/25/16, Jochen Spieker <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
>> Francis Gerund:
>>>
>>> Then, I did: