Re: updating debian 8 (jessie) stable to permanent testing - SOLVED?

I have successfully (I hope) upgraded from Debian 8 (Jessie) stable to
permanent testing.  I did:

sudo check
sudo update
sudo upgrade

then saved /etc/apt/sources.list as /etc/apt/sources.list.old.

Here was the original /etc/apt/sources.list:

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 8.2.0 _Jessie_ - Official amd64 NETINST
Binary-1 20150906-11:09]/ jessie main

deb      http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie            main
contrib non-free
deb-src  http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie            main
contrib non-free

deb      http://security.debian.org/      jessie/updates    main
contrib non-free
deb-src  http://security.debian.org/      jessie/updates    main
contrib non-free

# jessie-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
deb      http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates    main
contrib non-free
deb-src  http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates    main
contrib non-free

# jessie-backports, previously on backports.debian.org
deb      http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports  main
contrib non-free
deb-src  http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports  main
contrib non-free

I changed (and saved) /etc/apt/sources.list as:

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 8.2.0 _Jessie_ - Official amd64 NETINST
Binary-1 20150906-11:09]/ jessie$

deb      http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/   testing            main
contrib non-free
deb-src  http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/   testing            main
contrib non-free

deb      http://security.debian.org/        testing/updates    main
contrib non-free
deb-src  http://security.debian.org/        testing/updates    main
contrib non-free

# jessie-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
# sysadmin renamed "jessie-updates" to "testing updates":
deb      http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/   testing-updates    main
contrib non-free
deb-src  http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/   testing-updates    main
contrib non-free

# jessie-backports, previously on backports.debian.org
# sysadmin commented out "jessie-backports":
# deb      http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports   main
contrib non-free
# deb-src  http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports   main
contrib non-free

So, I just "commented out" the jessie-backports lines, and changed the
jessie-updates lines to testing-updates.  And saved the edited
/etc/apt/sources.list.

Then, I did:

sudo check
sudo update
sudo upgrade
clean
autoclean
autoremove

And rebooted. All seems well.

But, should I now do:

sudo apt-get --download-only dist-upgrade
sudo dist-upgrade

(Note that I want to track testing permanently, NOT just until Jessie
becomes Stretch.)

Or should I just leave it as is?

Also note - doing:
sudo apt-get --download-only dist-upgrade

would result in:

"361 upgraded, 242 newly installed, 36 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 471 MB of archives.
After this operation, 741 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] "

BTW, in my earlier proposed changes to /etc/apt/sources.list, I
thought that I had clearly indicated that the jessie-backports lines
were to be "commented out", and thus inactive.  I am sorry if there
was any confusion on that point.

Also, regarding:

"On Sun, 24 Jan 2016 21:26:26 -0500 Francis Gerund <ranrund@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello . . .
>
> Is this mic on?

What?"

This just (I thought humorously) references a classic thing done by
old-time stand-up comedians to elicit audience participation, when
they feel like they are "dying on stage".

At the time I wrote that, I was surprised at the lack of activity on
the list, including responded to my original question.  I actually
thought that there might be something wrong with the email system.

Which brings me to my final point.  I honestly thought it was a
simple,easy question, that would relatively quickly receive a simple,
easy response.  I was surprised that upgrading from stable to testing
is still not a simple, clear, idiot-proof operation.  After all, this
is 2016 . . .  right?

I wonder why there is still not a simple utility program, or even a
CLI script, to upgrade from stable to testing, or testing to unstable,
etc.  Or if there is, please let me (and everyone) know about it.

It doesn't seem like it would be very difficult to make, for someone
who knows how.  And I believe it would be extremely useful. Think of
the problems it would help to prevent.

Anyway, thanks to all who replied.  And I hope this in some way may
help others in the same position.