Re: updating debian 8 (jessie) stable to permanent testing - SOLVED?

Francis Gerund:
> What was I thinking?  (I have some distractions going on right now).
>
> dist-upgrades?
>
> Of course.  Earlier in this sequence I did ask, to track testing
> permanently, should I do:
>
> sudo apt-get --download-only dist-upgrade
> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Sorry, but to me it appears you simply enter commands you found
somewhere without really knowing what they do. You do not always need to
run the dist-upgrade with --download-only. The option does exactly what
it says and is usually unnecessary to use because the regular
dist-upgrade downloads packages as well.

> I presume that's what you meant.  Is the answer yes, then? But if so,
> wouldn't that only have to be done once, followed by periodically
> doing:
>
> sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

No. The upgrade operation does not upgrade all packages and it even
tells you so ("[…] and X not upgraded"). Please read up on:

- Debian's release process. Here's a gentle overview from a DD:
  https://raphaelhertzog.com/2010/10/18/understanding-debians-release-process/

  Or see the Debian Administrator's Handbook for a more thorough
  overview:
  https://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.release-lifecycle.html

- The package manager you are using. apt-get's man page describes the
  difference between upgrade and dist-upgrade quite clearly and you
  don't even have to scroll down very far for that information.

J.
--
I want to look younger than my friends so I will fight ageing as long as
I can.