Re: updating debian 8 (jessie) stable to permanent testing - SOLVED?

Hi, Jochen.

1) You are correct. It should have been:

>Then, I did:

>sudo apt-get check
>sudo apt-get update
>sudo apt-get upgrade
>sudo clean
>sudo autoclean
>sudo autoremove

My mistake.  Sorry.

2)  Run dist-upgrades?  No one mentioned that (to me), and I did not
know anything about that.

Hopefully I can find some information on that.

I thought that once I upgraded to testing, I would be much like stable
- just generally sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, and check,
clean, autoclean, and autoremove from time to time.

3) No, I don't want to make it easy to break my system, but I do
want/need to track testing.  Stable is just too stale.

I don't feel like testing, unstable, etc.  should be only for the
nobles, and denied to the mere peasants (like me).

I have read/heard all the warnings about system breakage.  I do back
up my data.  And I can reinstall if necessary.

I have begun to suspect that the Debian "powers that be" deliberately
don't make upgrading to testing/unstable/experimental clear and easy,
in order to discourage people from doing it.  Speculating upon the
reasons that might be is left as an exercise for the reader . . .

;-)