Re: updating debian 8 (jessie) stable to permanent testing - SOLVED?

Francis Gerund:

> Then, I did:
>
> sudo check
> sudo update
> sudo upgrade
> clean
> autoclean
> autoremove

What are these supposed to do? I suppose they are apt operations, but
don't make us guess. Always quote the exact commands you are using.

> But, should I now do:
>
> sudo apt-get --download-only dist-upgrade
> sudo dist-upgrade

If you want to track testing, you will need to run dist-upgrades from
time to time. If you upgrade from stable without doing that, your
upgrade is incomplete. You should know that if you want to run testing.

> Which brings me to my final point.  I honestly thought it was a
> simple,easy question, that would relatively quickly receive a simple,
> easy response.  I was surprised that upgrading from stable to testing
> is still not a simple, clear, idiot-proof operation.  After all, this
> is 2016 . . .  right?

Do you want to make it easy to break your system? Because that's what
tracking testing or unstable can do. If you run anything but stable, you
need a certain set of skills so that you are able to fix many problems
yourself and report issues that are not only temporary and might affect
other users.

J.
--
I am getting worse rather than better.