Re: updating debian 8 (jessie) stable to permanent testing - SOLVED?

On Monday 25 January 2016 23:12:09 Francis Gerund wrote:

> I don't feel like testing, unstable, etc.  should be only for the
> nobles, and denied to the mere peasants (like me).

It isn't "only for the nobles".  It's for everybody.  But they _are_ Testing
and Unstable and you have to be prepared to cope.  If you want a quiet life,
you use Stable.

> I have read/heard all the warnings about system breakage.  I do back
> up my data.  And I can reinstall if necessary.
>
> I have begun to suspect that the Debian "powers that be" deliberately
> don't make upgrading to testing/unstable/experimental clear and easy,
> in order to discourage people from doing it.  Speculating upon the
> reasons that might be is left as an exercise for the reader . . .

Nonsense!  I did a simple Google search using
"how to upgrade Debian stable to Debian testing"

and got a lot of relevant hits, the top of which was:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting

The Debian powers that be cannot be blamed if you omit to use Google.

And many of us dist-upgrade (well, full-upgrade in my case - I use aptitude
and am in that habit) regularly anyway, even when staying put, just to keep
our machines tidied up.  You certainly have to do so to move up a release.

Lisi