Re: updating debian 8 (jessie) stable to permanent testing - SOLVED?

Hi Lisi.

Just got your posting.

Yes I did find and read this (among other references).

It says:
"If you notice that some packages are not upgraded you should also try
apt-get dist-upgrade, but beware that this command will also install
or remove packages, so do check carefully all proposed actions before
proceeding."

I thought that means yes.  (More than once)?  (If so, how often)?
What packages should I "notice"?  And I do think "check carefully all
proposed actions before proceeding" is a little nebulous, to say the
least.

I also find this (in the same reference document) might benefit from
some elaboration:

"To upgrade to testing, if you have already installed the stable
release, edit your /etc/apt/sources.list changing 'stable' (or the
current codename for stable) in the apt lines to 'testing' (or the
current code name for the next stable release). Additional changes in
that file might be required. "

BTW, what "Additional changes"?

It's not that simple.  Years ago, I followed advice to upgrade to
testing by just "edit your /etc/apt/sources.list changing 'stable' (or
the current codename for stable) in the apt lines to 'testing' (or the
current code name for the next stable release".

The results were disastrous.

So again, perhaps some automated mechanism for upgrading might be
beneficial.  Or at least some elaboration or amplification of the
documentation on this subject.  And how about a simple guide to "this
is how you update to testing"?

Also, I can, and do, and did, use internet search engine(s) in doing
said research.  (BTW, Google is NOT "your friend".  But that's another
subject).

And the more I think about it, the more I stand behind my opinion that
upgrading is unnecessarily difficult and error-prone.

Whew!  Now that that's out of the way, let me ask:

When (and why would you use full-upgrade, as opposed to dist-upgrade
(and how does aptitude figure into that)?  I don't use aptitude, I'm
used to apt-get.

Thanks for your reply.