Re: debian 8.2 live "standard" install - how to set up wifi?

On Mon 30 Nov 2015 at 01:03:56 +0300, moxalt wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 20:28:07 +0000, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > How did you establish the connectivity that d-i did not provide?
>
> When did I say that debian-installer provided no connectivity? I successfully
> installed over WLAN using it.

You didn't. Neither did I. After the first boot you were not connected
to the internet even though you were during the the installation.

> > It
> > could only be through a wired connection or wpasupplicant using ifupdown
> > or NM (or wicd, I suppose). You are obviously connected now, so you must
> > have done something to rectify being unable to access the internet.
>
> wpa_supplicant, ifconfig, and dhclient.

If you had not done this you still wouldn't have the connectivity you
had while using d-i to install. (Using apt-get to install NM would be a
challenge :)).

> > But you cannot be good to go. You have no connectivity; networking
> > doesn't "just work. You had to have done something to make it work. You
> > said as much earlier on.
>
> What do you consider to be 'just working'? If by 'just working' you mean that
> an internet connection is already available straight after boot, with no extra
> work, this is not the case. By 'just working' I am referring to the interfaces
> being present and the requisite firmware being installed.

The difference is between having the potential and the actuality. A USB
port has the potential to provide a printing service. Does this mean
printing 'just works'?

> Upon boot (after installation over wireless with no tasks selected) I am only
> two commands away from a network connection-
>
> 	# wpa_supplicant -Dnl80211 -iwlan0 -c.wlan-conf -B
> 	# dhclient wlan0
>
> I consider that 'just working'.

The two of us have had exactly the same experience. We both are in
complete agreement about what happens when an install over WiFi takes
place without a desktop task. That's a considerable achievement. You
consider the end result to be a working one with respect to networking.
I don't. Lets agree to differ on that.

> > > Can someone else try installing like I did and see if the same occurs?
> >
> > We'll see.
>
> I'm actually just going to reiterate what happened, because there appears to
> have been a little bit of a misunderstanding.

Not on my part. While not agreeing with the sentiment, I even understand
now what you mean by 'just working'.

> I used a Debian netinstall USB to install my current system. I selected wlan0
> as my network interface to use for the purposes of the installation. I selected
> no tasks, so only a minimal console setup was installed.

Been there; done that.

> The installation carried out and concluded successfully. Upon reboot, ifconfig
> reported the existence of lo, eth0, and wlan0. I then used wpa_supplicant to

My experience, too.

> authenticate with my router, and dhclient to request an IP address. After that,
> I was able to access the internet (apt-get update, browsing with lynx, etc.).

Did that (because there was no connectivily), but not quite in that way.

> I had to do this every subsequent boot to get internet access.

This would get a bit tedious with a 63 character WPA passphrase.
Especially after a month or two.

> I had to do this every subsequent boot to get internet access.
>
> After several months of booting into a tty, setting up an internet connection,
> and then starting X manually, I decided to install MATE, LightDM, and NM, which
> is what I currently use. Prior to that, I had no network manager of any sort
> installed.

Seems like a happy outcome. Let's end on that note.