Re: debian 8.2 live "standard" install - how to set up wifi?

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 19:58:46 +0000, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri 27 Nov 2015 at 21:16:40 +0300, moxalt wrote:

> > I don't think you would. I use an ASUS N43SL with an AR9285 wireless
> > chipset, and the wireless networking works fine. I also always install
> > using the network install ISO, and networking is set up correctly each
> > time. I would try this if I were you- I have practically no experience
> > installing from the 'live-*' CDs, but the netinst might work.
>
> Installing with netinst is good advice. Nobody as yet has come along to
> advice us on how to go about it with a live-* CD.
>
> > When installing (you don't even need to select any tasks; a minimal
> > installation (even without the 'console environment' selection) should
> > correctly set up networking via all compatible interfaces and furnish you
> > with wpa_supplicant as well) try selecting the wireless option in the
> > network setup menu just to make sure.
>
> This bothers me. You install without any tasks (that's ok) and
> networking is there when the new systam boots? Are you installing over a
> wireless link? Just to emphasise - no wired connection is present.

Yes, networking is just there.

I boot with a netinstall USB, select my wireless interface for the
installation, and networking just works after I've rebooted. Both eth0, wlan0,
and lo appear in my ifconfig list. The firmware is correctly installed and
everything works. All that remains is to put wlan0 up, connect to my router
with wpa_supplicant, and get an IP with dhclient. After that, I'm good to go.