Re: debian 8.2 live "standard" install - how to set up wifi?

On Sat 28 Nov 2015 at 10:52:46 +0300, moxalt wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 19:58:46 +0000, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > This bothers me. You install without any tasks (that's ok) and
> > networking is there when the new systam boots? Are you installing over a
> > wireless link? Just to emphasise - no wired connection is present.
>
> Yes, networking is just there.

This still bothers me. :)

If networking is just there why, as you say later, do you have to bring
wlan0 up? Also, how do you manage to have eth0 in the output of
'ifconfig' when the wireless interface has been chosen for installing?
It cannot be in /etc/network/interfaces.

> I boot with a netinstall USB, select my wireless interface for the
> installation, and networking just works after I've rebooted. Both eth0, wlan0,
> and lo appear in my ifconfig list. The firmware is correctly installed and
> everything works. All that remains is to put wlan0 up, connect to my router
> with wpa_supplicant, and get an IP with dhclient. After that, I'm good to go.

I'd better say why I am bothered.

D-I sets up networking with netcfg. The file

  /usr/lib/finish-install.d/55netcfg-copy-config

in the package has

  # Check for preseeding. If the value of the question is empty then set
  # default options. Document automatic selection changes in the template.
  if [ -z "$RET" ]; then
          if $NM_IS_INSTALLED; then
                 db_set netcfg/target_network_config $CONFIG_NM
          else
                 if [ "$NETCFG_CONNECTION_TYPE" = "wired" ]; then
                         db_set netcfg/target_network_config $CONFIG_INTERFACES
                 else # wireless
                         db_set netcfg/target_network_config $CONFIG_LOOPBACK
                 fi
          fi
fi

If NM is not installed (which is what would happen with no tasks) and no
wired install the only stanza written to /e/n/i at the end of the
install is a loopback one. That is, metworking is not there after first
boot.