Re: debian 8.2 live "standard" install - how to set up wifi?

Thanks for the replies.

And the good information - I would have spent a long time digging and still not have found the links provided.

I downloaded a "regular" netinst iso, and did a fresh install from that, choosing the MATE desktop.  Networking (including wireless) works.

So, the problem was solved.

But I do find it strange that although the "live"
standard iso does have (and use) wireless networking for installation, the installed system apparently is not set up to use it, at least without some "surgery".

Note that the full-desktop live isos do install working wireless networking.  I have previously used this with the live GNOME, XFCE and LXDE isos.  So why not the standard live iso?

It also seems strange that the standard live iso does not offer to install any desktop, or even window manager.  It only installs a cli interface.

I also want to note that I uninstalled a perfectly good installation of another distribution to install from the Debian live standard iso.  With only one computer, with no other system installed, having only one cd drive, and no "working" networking, not a whole lot of fun.

BTW, the live iso (and the netinst) were not defective, checksums were fine on both the images and the cds burned from them.

And, the installation from the netinst iso does use the ath9k wireless driver (open source, free) to drive a wireless network adapter that uses the Atheros AR9285 chipset.  As usual, no problem there.

Bottom line:
1) use the netinst.iso to install.
2) do not use the live "standard" iso for much except amusement (and aggravation and wasted time and effort).
3) the installation procedures for Debian still (after all these years) need a lot of work.
4) the Debian documentation could use a "clean-up".  There's quite a bit of it, but it often feels like it is written "by technicians, for technicians", and it's not always user friendly.

Thanks again for your time.

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 2:58 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
On Fri 27 Nov 2015 at 21:16:40 +0300, moxalt wrote:

> I don't think you would. I use an ASUS N43SL with an AR9285 wireless chipset,
> and the wireless networking works fine. I also always install using the network
> install ISO, and networking is set up correctly each time. I would try this if
> I were you- I have practically no experience installing from the 'live-*' CDs,
> but the netinst might work.

Installing with netinst is good advice. Nobody as yet has come along to
advice us on how to go about it with a live-* CD.

> When installing (you don't even need to select any tasks; a minimal
> installation (even without the 'console environment' selection) should
> correctly set up networking via all compatible interfaces and furnish you with
> wpa_supplicant as well) try selecting the wireless option in the network setup
> menu just to make sure.

This bothers me. You install without any tasks (that's ok) and
networking is there when the new systam boots? Are you installing over a
wireless link? Just to emphasise - no wired connection is present.