Re: Installer partitioning problem (was: System Dorked -- Help! (Interim solution!))

Your threading appears to be broken, possibly because you reply to
a digest article? I think this was in reply to Message-Id:
<[🔎] 201510260331.37495.gheskett@shentel.net>

Quoting Martin Str|mberg (ams@ludd.luth.se):
> In article <qnKxQ-5oC-13@gated-at.bofh.it> Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> > On Monday 26 October 2015 02:29:04 Martin Str|mberg wrote:
> > > I don't understand why you can't. I can create (and did) partitions of
> > > 200 MB size. I use the text based installer and manual partitioning.
> > >
> > On a 4k/sector, 2 terabyte disk?  I tried from 500m to 2g, it would not
> > accept it.  Finally I said to use 5% of the disk, and that worked. Since
>
> Mmm... Lately, usually the installation is onto an SDD, so lately no.
>
> But earlier I'm quite sure I've done that. That should be around/with
> Debian 6 and then probably not 4k/sector disk.
>
> But some SDD has claimed 4k/sector physical block size (but then again
> they are not 2TB).
>
> Frankly, I don't see what the 4k/sector physical block size has to do
> with it.
>
> > > Supposing your variant of installer can't, then why don't you boot a
> > > live CD/stick and partition the hard drive before any booting the
> > > installer and then you should be able to tell the installer to just
> > > use the partitions without any repartitioning.
>
> > The key phrase is "should be able to tell it to use what it finds",
> > applying only mount point labels.  I have not been allowed to do so by
> > any linux installer over the last 7 or 8 years.  That limitation has
>
> Again I don't understand why you can't. I have done that successfully
> too.
>
> > Thats also when I parted company with fedora, forever.  I was tired of
> > being one of their development lab rats. Always something broken, screw
> > it.
>
> ??? I'm talking about Debian.

Two posts further down the thread is Message-Id: <[🔎] 201510260729.14988.gheskett@shentel.net>
which reveals:

-Then linuxcnc switched to a wheezy build for their install image about a
      ^^^^^^^^
-year back, and until the 2 terabyte disk with 4k sectors became the
-commodity drive, it just worked.  Now we're back to fighting with old
-bios's unless we setup a small boot partition on the outside edge of the
-disk.

This particular horse was flogged to death in January. The grim
details start at https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2015/01/msg00706.html

If you haven't started self-harming by now, you can continue at:

before risking all by moving on to:

Cheers,
David.