Re: Installer partitioning problem (was: System Dorked -- Help! (Interim solution!))

In article <qnKxQ-5oC-13@gated-at.bofh.it> Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> On Monday 26 October 2015 02:29:04 Martin Str|mberg wrote:
> > I don't understand why you can't. I can create (and did) partitions of
> > 200 MB size. I use the text based installer and manual partitioning.
> >
> On a 4k/sector, 2 terabyte disk?  I tried from 500m to 2g, it would not
> accept it.  Finally I said to use 5% of the disk, and that worked. Since

Mmm... Lately, usually the installation is onto an SDD, so lately no.

But earlier I'm quite sure I've done that. That should be around/with
Debian 6 and then probably not 4k/sector disk.

But some SDD has claimed 4k/sector physical block size (but then again
they are not 2TB).

Frankly, I don't see what the 4k/sector physical block size has to do
with it.

> > Supposing your variant of installer can't, then why don't you boot a
> > live CD/stick and partition the hard drive before any booting the
> > installer and then you should be able to tell the installer to just
> > use the partitions without any repartitioning.

> The key phrase is "should be able to tell it to use what it finds",
> applying only mount point labels.  I have not been allowed to do so by
> any linux installer over the last 7 or 8 years.  That limitation has

Again I don't understand why you can't. I have done that successfully
too.

> Thats also when I parted company with fedora, forever.  I was tired of
> being one of their development lab rats. Always something broken, screw
> it.

??? I'm talking about Debian.

--
MartinS