Re: Installer partitioning problem (was: System Dorked -- Help! (Interim solution!))

<gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> > The worst part of that is that the partitioner will not accept a 1
> > gigabyte partition, which is a great plenty, so I was forced to use
> > 5% of the disk as a boot partition.
>
> I don't understand why you can't. I can create (and did) partitions of
> 200 MB size. I use the text based installer and manual partitioning.

On a 4k/sector, 2 terabyte disk?  I tried from 500m to 2g, it would not
accept it.  Finally I said to use 5% of the disk, and that worked. Since
I didn't try 1%, its possible that would work. But that 5% allowed the
install to proceed, which was the desired result.  The disk is so big in
comparison to what it needs to be for that application that only 1% of
each partition is in use.  I should have used the 40Gb Kingston SSD I
have squirreled away someplace, but that box seems to have found a
hiding place.

> Supposing your variant of installer can't, then why don't you boot a
> live CD/stick and partition the hard drive before any booting the
> installer and then you should be able to tell the installer to just
> use the partitions without any repartitioning.

The key phrase is "should be able to tell it to use what it finds",
applying only mount point labels.  I have not been allowed to do so by
any linux installer over the last 7 or 8 years.  That limitation has
been the subject of some very strongly worded posts on the subject. At
the end of the day, if I can get it to install by letting it do it its
way, then I'll go along with it as long as it works, the only place I
draw the line is when it automatically sets up an LVM using every disk
currently spinning in the box.  Since one of those disks was
my "amandatapes" virtual tape drive, that install got blown away before
the initial reboot before it cost me my backups.

Thats also when I parted company with fedora, forever.  I was tired of
being one of their development lab rats. Always something broken, screw
it.

> HTH.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)