Re: Installer partitioning problem

On Monday 26 October 2015 03:57:53 Felix Miata wrote:

> Gene Heskett composed on 2015-10-26 03:31 (UTC-0400):
> > Martin Str|mberg wrote:
> >> Supposing your variant of installer can't, then why don't you boot
> >> a live CD/stick and partition the hard drive before any booting the
> >> installer and then you should be able to tell the installer to just
> >> use the partitions without any repartitioning.
> >
> > The key phrase is "should be able to tell it to use what it finds",
> > applying only mount point labels.  I have not been allowed to do so
> > by any linux installer over the last 7 or 8 years.
>
> Except with Fedora, I can't remember having any such difficulty in
> that period. Last I remember elsewhere it was much longer ago. I may
> have encountered it elsewhere since, but not remembered because
> aborted and abandoned attempt to use any such antagonistic distro.
>
> I do find it disturbing that *buntu and other debian
> partitioners/installers find it necessary, when no partitions are to
> be resized, moved, created or deleted, which is always the case here
> during an installation, to rewrite valid extended partition table
> entries that cause other partitioners to find fault with partition
> sizes and/or alignments. In all these cases, the first
> post-installation process I'm faced with is deleting and recreating
> the first logical, purely to fix that brokenness and make the error
> messages go away.

I thought I was the only one. When I posted, bitching about it, I was
repeatedly told that it was I who was doing it wrong. I'll admit old
habits die hard since I've been exclusively linux since Dec 1997.  And I
didn't come to linux from windows, I was all Amiga or CoCo.

Then linuxcnc switched to a wheezy build for their install image about a
year back, and until the 2 terabyte disk with 4k sectors became the
commodity drive, it just worked.  Now we're back to fighting with old
bios's unless we setup a small boot partition on the outside edge of the
disk.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)